PNC Unveils Plans For New Resource Center
'PNC Fairfax Connection' to Offer Residents and Businesses Dynamic Space, Innovative Programs
Mar 21, 2012
PNC Fairfax Connection Community Resource Center in Cleveland
CLEVELAND, March 21, 2012 – The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: PNC) announced today plans to create the “PNC Fairfax Connection,” a new community resource center in Cleveland’s historic eastside neighborhood. The space will offer residents and business owners a variety of resources, from education programs and online resources to events and unique local cultural programs.
“PNC’s goal is to provide a new, innovative way to empower the community to become economically stronger,” said Paul Clark, PNC regional president. “PNC Fairfax Connection represents a new approach to the typical relationship of a bank with its community and a community with its bank. The center’s educational, service and cultural offerings will provide a platform for creating new connections among individuals, families and businesses.”
The facility, located west of University Circle at the intersection of East 83rd and Carnegie, consists of nearly 6,400 square feet of open, flexible-use space. Extensive community input and feedback helped shape the center, designed by noted Cleveland architect Richard Fleischman and ESI Design, one of the world’s foremost experiential design firms known for creating innovative social spaces.
During the programming phase, PNC engaged area residents through faith-based, economic development, non-profit and cultural centers as well as the business community, to ensure the project uniquely serves the needs, interests, history and hopes of the people who live and work in the neighborhood. The center will mark its grand opening later this summer, with select preliminary workshops already underway with local neighborhood partners.
Program offerings will focus primarily on education, with an emphasis on early childhood and financial education for children, parents and caregivers; technology training for individuals and small business owners; overcoming barriers to accessing job opportunities and celebrating the community’s rich cultural resources.
PNC recruited Maria Thompson as the center’s full-time director. A longtime partner to Fairfax community leaders, Thompson is a native of Greater Cleveland and graduate of area universities with a background in community development and management. Previously, she served on PNC’s local community development banking team.
“This neighborhood has a deep pride and rich history, and we will now be able to offer programs and resources to help residents and businesses thrive,” said Thompson. “Our staff will continue to work with local residents and businesses to create programs and events that promote the growth and prosperity of Fairfax.”
The center offers the community a number of resources, and it will:
- Offer access to programs and technology that will better position people and businesses to foster their success.
- Build on existing PNC programs, including financial education and PNC Grow Up Great, the company’s signature philanthropic initiative focused on early education. Sessions will be conducted in partnership with leading local institutions such as Karamu House and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Operate collaboratively between bank employees and the community to ensure ongoing programming and events serve the changing needs of individuals and organizations.
- Complement the center’s financial education programming with an on-site ATM and services offered at the University Circle PNC branch, located nearby at 10700 Euclid Ave.
- Celebrate the history of Fairfax as providing one of the civic and cultural cornerstones of African-American legacy in Cleveland.
To view or download high resolution images related to this announcement, visit http://pnc.thedigitalcenter.com.
The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (www.pnc.com) is one of the nation's largest diversified financial services organizations providing retail and business banking; residential mortgage banking; specialized services for corporations and government entities, including corporate banking, real estate finance and asset-based lending; wealth management and asset management. Follow @PNCNews on Twitter for breaking news, updates and announcements from PNC.
(216) 536-8507 (cell)