All of us at PNC are excited to embark on this journey with NCCU, an institution that is so integral to our region,” said Jim Hansen, PNC regional president for Eastern Carolinas.
DURHAM, N.C., June 14, 2021 – As preparations for the 2021-22 academic year take shape, PNC Bank has finalized an agreement with North Carolina Central University (NCCU) to provide banking services and financial education programs for the school’s students, faculty and staff. The agreement builds on a longstanding tradition of collaboration between PNC and the NCCU campus community, a relationship rooted in economic development and mentorship.
“NCCU is committed to helping ensure our students receive the highest-quality education and graduate prepared for life,” said Akua Johnson Matherson, NCCU chief financial officer and vice chancellor for Administration & Finance, Division of Administration and Finance. “Financial literacy is central to this, and our arrangement with PNC Bank will help our students gain access to financial knowledge and tools that can help empower responsible decision-making.”
Supported by a University Banking team with a deep understanding of the higher education ecosystem, PNC will deliver educational resources about money management and provide convenient financial services to the campus community.
“All of us at PNC are excited to embark on this journey with NCCU, an institution that is so integral to our region,” said Jim Hansen, PNC regional president for Eastern Carolinas. “For today’s students and tomorrow’s workforce, establishing a foundation for financial literacy is crucial for future success. PNC is committed to providing resources and tools to help build that foundation, such as Low Cash ModeSM, a feature that helps customers manage through low-cash moments and avoid unnecessary overdraft fees.”
The scope of the agreement includes:
- Virtual Wallet® Student accounts, which feature digital tools including Low Cash ModeSM, a game-changing technology that helps customers avoid overdraft fees and take control of payment decisions when balances are low or turn negative.
- PNC My Finance Academy, a virtual financial education program featuring articles, podcasts, videos and other resources that are easily accessible to students and can help them work toward building healthy financial habits.
- Three on-campus ATMs, including one advanced-function DepositEasySM ATM that allows users to withdraw cash (including $1 bills), deposit and cash checks, deposit money into their accounts and interact with a PNC advisor.
- A co-branded affinity debit card featuring an image representative of the NCCU Eagles, available to all PNC account holders.
- A co-branded website, hosted by PNC Bank, where students and employees can complete account applications, and find financial and educational information.
- PNC Organizational Financial Wellness, a suite of solutions empowering employees – in this case, NCCU employees – to help improve their financial health.
PNC Bank has relationships with more than 400 schools across 19 states and the District of Columbia to provide banking services as well as financial education programs.
About North Carolina Central University
North Carolina Central University (NCCU) prepares students to succeed in the global marketplace. Consistently ranked as a top Historically Black College or University, NCCU’s flagship programs in the sciences, education, law, business, nursing and the arts prepare students for professions ranging from clinical research to information science. Founded in 1910, NCCU remains committed to diversity in and access to higher education. With a mission to investigate health disparities, the university’s two state-of-the-art research institutes give students real-world experience working alongside faculty researchers and pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry professionals. The university’s Strategic Plan 2019-2024, Charting a New Landscape for Student-Center Success, focuses on four areas: student access and success; innovation, research and entrepreneurship; collaboration and partnerships; and institutional sustainability. Visit www.nccu.edu.
About PNC Bank
PNC Bank, National Association, is a member of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: PNC). PNC is one of the largest diversified financial services institutions in the United States, organized around its customers and communities for strong relationships and local delivery of retail and business banking including a full range of lending products; specialized services for corporations and government entities, including corporate banking, real estate finance and asset-based lending; wealth management and asset management. For information about PNC, visit www.pnc.com.